The Messiah has Come!
Just the gist (for small children and others with tiny attention spans):
Jesus was born in a stable in Bethlehem! The wait for the world’s savior is over!
For those that can handle just a bit more:
Bethlehem, which means house of bread, was crowded from the influx of travelers journeying to register for the census. There was no room for the Holy Family in the inn, so they bunked in a stable. It was there, under the star that the pagan priest Balaam had prophesied way back on Day 9, that Mary gave birth to the little God made man, wrapped him in swaddling clothes and laid him in a manger, to one day be food for the world.
He was here. Humanity had been waiting for thousands of years for this moment. The new Adam, the new Isaac, the new Jacob’s Ladder, the Lion of Judah, the new Moses, the true Manna, the New David, the New Solomon, the New Elisha, the New Jonah, the Lamb of God, the Son of Man, Immanuel, the Messiah, the Word Made Flesh, the promised Savior, the fulfillment of everything in the Old Testament since Day 1 was He. The presence of the Lord was once again amongst His people only He no longer took the form of a pillar of cloud or fire. He had broken into time, Incarnated and now dwelt among his people as a helpless baby.
Adored by shepherds and an army of angels on the night of his birth, a weary world still rejoices. Emmanuel had come!
- Illustrations by Peggy Sayles
- Walking with God by Tim Gray and Jeff Cavins, Ascension Press
- Bible Basics for Catholics by John Bergsma, Ave Maria Press
- A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament by John Bergsma and Brant Pitre, Ignatius Press
- You Can Understand the Old Testament by Peter Kreeft, Servant Publications
- Bible History by Ignatius Schuster, Tan Books
- The Ignatius Press Study Bibles (Dr. Scott Hahn, please do one on the Maccabees books!)
- The Great Adventure Bible, Revised Standard Catholic Edition (Ascension Press sells it. It’s Awesome!)
- Father Mike Schmidt’s Bible in a Year podcast (Again… awesome!)
Christmas for Beginners is now available in book form! Click here to take your Advent readings Old School.
A most beautiful conclusion brought to reality by Peggy ‘s marvelous artwork , and Donna’s spirituality fired written presentation ! Thank you both so much for your time and effort, and may all of you have a most blessed and loving Christmas imaginable !